Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fruit Muffins (page 160)

It took me a while to decide what to make for my first individual recipe. There are so many recipes that I've wanted to try for a long time, but my rhubarb kept calling my name. I planted it last summer and it's doing really well. So the Fruit Muffins became Rhubarb Muffins.

Since my in-laws have way more rhubarb than me, I opted to take some from them and let mine keep growing. Here's a picture of their rhubarb patch in Cooper Landing, with Kenai Lake in the background.


I love baking muffins and scones, so I was excited to try this recipe. They turned out just okay in my opinion. The recipe calls for 1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar (depending on your preference), and I only used 1/4 cup because sometimes muffins are too sweet for me. However, I should have used 1/2 cup. As one of my fellow fiddlers pointed out, rhubarb needs more sugar than other fruits that are naturally sweet. Any other advice?


I will definitely try this recipe again (perhaps with blueberries in August), but it wasn't my favorite muffin recipe ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.