Friday, June 11, 2010

Ice Cream Pie (Quite the Summer Delight)

I have a strong affinity for baked goods, sweets, and desserts. Two things I especially like include chocolate mousse (Anchoragites who have yet to try it, please head over to Bear Tooth for the Chocolate Moose), and ice cream. The combination of these two ingredients in the Fiddlehead Ice Cream Pie make it unbelievably delicious and the cook who makes it extremely popular.

I recently made this pie for my best friend's 25th birthday and it was quite a hit. The recipe calls for an oreo cookie crust (just cookies and butter, no goopy white filling), followed by a layer of ice cream (flavor of your choosing), topped with freshly made chocolate mousse. The result is a crunchy, rich, sweet pie that, literally, melts in your mouth. It was so good in fact, that there was none left when I realized I had forgotten to take a picture of the final product. So, you'll just have to imagine it, or perhaps make one for yourself. I highly recommend the latter.

I started with a normal pie pan for the cookie crust, but was left with little room for the rest of the ingredients, so I transferred it to a rectangular pyrex. Once the crust had cooled from baking, I pressed in some Haagen Dazs Java Chip ice cream. I've made this recipe with coconut ice cream before, which was also fantastic.

My very full (of crust) pie pan
As the ice cream set up in the freezer, I set out making the chocolate mousse, first whipping some heavy cream and egg whites, then melting butter and chocolate together, and finally combining them all together to form an airy mousse.


The chocolate and whipped components of the mousse, before being combined

Once the mousse was prepared I pulled the pie out of the freezer, slathered it on top of the ice cream and put it back in to harden. I'd recommend a few solid hours of freezing before you have to serve this pie to ensure you don't end up with a soppy mess. Overall, this is a delicious dish that is fun and fairly simple to make, and a big hit when it's served.

The prepared mousse and pie, ready for topping

1 comment:

  1. Hi Priya. Kristen passed along the link to your blog. What a fun idea! I can't wait to try this pie after reading your review and looking at the pics. I've had this cookbook for years, but am realizing there are so many recipes I have yet to try. Thanks for sharing! -Tisha

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.